Elisa Scaraggi concluded her PhD in Comparative Studies in June 2020 with the thesis Practices and Experiences of Incarceration. An Inquiry into Papéis da Prisão by José Luandino Vieira.
Elisa Scaraggi holds a BA degree in Translation and Interpretation from the University of Genova (Italy) and an MA degree in Modern, Comparative and Post-Colonial Literatures from the University of Bologna (Italy).
She entered the PhD-COMP programme in 2015/2016, as an FCT doctoral scholarship student (PD/BD/113727/2015). Her research was on carceral literature, more especifically, on Memórias do cárcere and Papéis da prisão, by Graciliano Ramos and José Luandino Vieira respectively, under the supervision of Susana Araújo (University of Coimbra) and Roberto Vecchi (University of Bologna).
She was a member in training of the Centre for Comparative Studies (University of Lisbon), working with the CILM Project.
- 2019. (In collaboration with Lourenço, Daniel; Araújo, Susana; Martínez Tejero, Cristina) Dossiê “Tracing the Contexts of Imprisonment: Perspectives on Incarceration between the Human and Social Sciences”, in Revista Crítica de Ciências Sociais (forthcoming)
- 2019. “Witness narratives in context: Analysing the political prison writings of Graciliano Ramos and José Luandino Vieira”, in Ladegaard, Jakob and Gaardbo Nielsen, Jakob (eds.) Context in Literary and Cultural Studies. London: UCL Press.
- 2018. “Prisioneiro, Militante E Escritor: Um Novo Olhar Sobre As Memórias Do Cárcere E O Seu Autor”. Teresa, nº 18 (março), 303-6. https://doi.org/10.11606/issn.2447-8997.teresa.2016.127315.
- 2018. “Escrever é resistir: práticas de resistência nos Papéis da prisão de José Luandino Vieira” Literatura e Autoritarismo, Santa Maria, nº 31, jan.-jun. 2018, p. 23-34.
- 2017. “Canudos reloaded: Vargas LLosa’s La guerra del fin del mundo as an adaptation of Euclide da Cunha’s Os Sertões” in Fusillo, Massimo, Meneghelli, Donata (ed.) A story is always born twice. Issues in adaptation. Siracusa: Duetredue edizioni.
- 2017. “Escrever é resistir: práticas de resistência nos Papéis da prisão de José Luandino Vieira” (article accepted for publication Revista Literatura e Autoritarismo)